- You are here:
- How Do I...
- Waste Disposal
- Electronic Waste
Repair your Electronics
Does your TV or other electronic device no longer work? Considering getting rid of it? Wait! First consider whether or not you can repair your electronic device. Repairing your device for continued use is the best way to keep electronics out of the waste stream.
View a listing of locations to repair your electronics.
Get Rid of Electronic Waste
Want to get rid of your old, electronic waste? There are numerous drop-off locations around Ontario County that make it easy and convenient to recycle your unwanted electronics. Changes to the NYS legislation means that most electronics can be dropped off with no charge. Please call ahead if you have any questions about fees, or limitations on what is acceptable. Also, any electronics still in good condition can be donated for reuse at a local donation store.
View a listing of drop-off locations for your electronic waste.
Head to Our Collection Days
The safest bet when it comes to any hazardous household waste is to bring it to one of the free collection events sponsored by Ontario County Department of Sustainability & Solid Waste Management. Please continue to check the Special Events page for dates, times, and locations of events.
Here’s a list of hazardous materials accepted at no charge at these events:
- Computers (including laptops, desktops, tablets and e-readers)
- Small scale servers
- Computer peripherals
- Electronic keyboards
- Electronic mice or similar
- Pointing devices
- Fax machines
- Electronic or video game consoles @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Document scanners
- Printers (less than 100 lbs.)
- Small electronic equipment
- Digital video recorders
- Portable digital music players
- DVD players (including projectors with DVD player capabilities intended for home-use)
- Digital converter boxes
- Cable or satellite receivers (including media receivers)
- NEW for 2023- VHS, DVD, and CD @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act
Did you know that under the New York State (NYS) law, manufacturers must provide a free and convenient process for folks to recycle their electronic waste? The NYS Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act requires manufacturers to provide free and convenient recycling of electronic waste to most consumers in the state. For more information and resources visit: https://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/66872.html.